Do I have what it takes to work in Radio Broadcasting?
Does the idea of working in radio appeal to you? Do you dream of being a part of this exciting, immediate and fast-paced medium which reaches more people than any other in South Africa? Do you have a silky smooth voice and passion for popular culture and music?
Well, a great way to enter the world of radio is by taking a radio broadcasting course, read on to see if this career is for you.
The Q&A Section: Are You Suited To A Career In Radio Broadcasting?
Quinton Meiring, INTEC Collegeís guidance counsellor says if you answer yes to five or more of these questions, then Radio Broadcasting is a career well worth exploring.
- Do you have a clear speaking voice and a good command of language?
- Do you have a broad general knowledge and interest in current affairs?
- Are you passionate about music and musicians?
- Do you find it easy to earn how to operate new technology?
- Do you cope well under pressure?
- Are you confident, outgoing and energetic?
- Are you a peopleís person?
|Y / N|
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
What Avenues Can You Go Into After Studying Radio Broadcasting?
- A career in radio broadcasting will allow you to work behind the microphone or behind the scenes at the station.
- You may wish to pursue a career as a presenter where you could read news bulletins, traffic updates or present the weather, or you could work your way up to having your own show as a DJ.
- You could deliver live action commentary on sporting events, politics and social and economic matters.
- You could specialise in the more technical aspects of the career such as studio engineering.
- If writing is your thing, you could write scripts for the presenters, competitions or news bulletins.
- You could eventually work your way up to station manager where you will be responsible for the strategic direction, DJ line-up and musical selection on your radio station.
Where Is The Best Place To Study?
INTEC College is one of the recommended South African institutions where you can study radio broadcasting. INTECís radio broadcasting course offers a good grounding about the theoretical component of this career. The course has both a theoretical and practical component Ė the practical training is conducted with the Broadcasting Training Institute. INTECís course is offered via distance learning, a flexible and affordable study method which allow students to continue working and also gives them the option of gaining in-house experience.
Which Subjects Will You Cover While Studying Radio Broadcasting?
- Radio production
- Genre analysis
- Media and language
- Social psychology of media
- Text analysis
- Narrative analysis
- Reception theory
- Educational Media
Click here for more information and to enrol for this exciting new course