Creating Beautiful Surroundings with Interior Decorating
Do you dream of decorating rooms with your artistic flair and stylish touch? Do you often find yourself beautifying your own home by rearranging its furniture or changing its colour scheme?
If so, then a career as an interior decorator may be perfect for you. This avenue will see you choosing the colours, furniture, soft furnishings, lighting and flooring for the homes, offices, hotels or restaurants of your clients. Or you could find employment at a décor retail outlet where you will offer expert guidance to shoppers. Interested? Then read on for more about this dynamic, creative career.
The Q&A Section: Am I Suited to a Career in Interior Decorating?
Quinton Meiring, INTEC College’s guidance counsellor says if you answer yes to five or more of these questions, then Interior Decorating is a career well worth exploring.
- Are you a creative person who enjoys developing innovative ideas?
- Do you love beautiful things and truly appreciate aesthetically pleasing rooms and buildings?
- Are you a people’s person with excellent communications skills and lots of patience?
- Do you have artistic flair?
- Do you have an eye for detail, colour and style?
- Are you stylish and interested in international fashion and design trends?
- Are you good at finding solutions to problems?
- Do you have a good head for business?
|Y / N |
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
What tasks will I perform working as an Interior Decorator?
- You will undertake discussions with your clients to ascertain their tastes and vision for their rooms after which you will infuse their ideas with your expertise.
- You will provide sketch designs, specifications and cost estimates for the client for approval
- You will advise clients on a selection of colour schemes, layout, lighting, furniture, floor coverings, curtains, paint, wallpaper and hardware products such as curtain fittings
- You will visit clients’ premises to look at existing conditions and make measurements
- You will supervise and coordinate the installation and arrangement of furniture and furnishings
- You will undertake direct selling if working in a retail store
Where is the best place to study?
INTEC College is one of the recommended South African institutions where you can study interior decorating. The college offers a South African Guild of Interior Designers accredited diploma which can be taken over an eight to 12 month period and is offered flexibly via distance learning , The course covers all the skills and technical knowledge needed to get started.
Which subjects will I take for a career in Interior Decorating?
Some of the areas of focus could include:
- Professional secrets and the magic of colour
- Specialist knowledge to guide the creation of beautiful interiors
- Practical, hands-on projects to sharpen your skills
- Dealing with potential clients
- Furniture design
- Principles and elements of design
- Lighting, illumination and effects
- How to run an Interior Decorating business
What careers can I go into after graduating?
- Upon completion of the Diploma in Interior Decorating you will able to either look at starting your own business perhaps from your home or setting up in a studio
- Alternatively you could join an interior design firm that specialises in corporate design for example or work in a retail interior store and advise clients on their choice on fittings etc.
Click here for more information and to enrol for this exciting course