Do I Have What it Takes to Get Started in a Career as a Graphic Designer?
Do you see yourself as part of a creative team that can bring a company’s product to life? Are you a creative, inspired individual? Are you a pictionary whizz who finds it easy to communicate a message visually? Have you always been someone who loves to make birthday cards or gifts for family and friends?
If so, a career as a Graphic Designer may be just the path for you!
Quinton Meiring, INTEC College’s guidance counsellor says if you answer yes to five or more of these questions then graphic design is a path well worth exploring:
- Are you deadline driven?
- Do you have the skill to interpret a client’s needs visually?
- Are you an out-of-the-box thinker?
- Are you computer literate?
- Are you flexible and able to work long hours?
- Do you have strong presentation skills and are a good communicator?
- Do you have a good understanding of colour, tone and space?
|Y / N|
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Y / N
Where Is The Best Place To Study?
INTEC College is one of the recommended SA institutions where you can learn the tools of the trade. Enrol for the Certificate in Graphic and Advertising Design to get you started in this energised industry!
This flexible and affordable distance learning course allows you to study while you work, giving you the option of staying economically active or the time to intern in the field.
What Areas of Study do you Cover?
- Elements of Art and Principles of Design
- Ethical Practice in the Industry
- Label Design & Packaging
- Typographic Design and Corporate Identity
- Illustration in Graphic Design and Advertising
- Photography and Styling for Brochure Design
- Layout Design and the Publishing Industry
- Film and Television Production
- Computer Graphics and Multimedia Design
- Design for the Internet
- Self Promotional Design
What is an Average Day on the Job Like as a Graphic Designer?
- You will liaise with clients to get a clear understanding of their visual communication requirements and develop design 'roughs' (sketches)
- You will prepare comprehensive layouts of the design using techniques such as photography, illustration and computer-generated imagery
- You will provide designs to clients for approval
- You will prepare designs for print
- You will design and set up exhibitions for advertising or educational purposes
- You will oversee all design production stages including arranging and supervising printing.
What Career Opportunities are there as a Graphic Designer?
Think of the thousands of advertisements, print competitions, magazine and book covers, brochures, leaflets or websites you interact with on a daily basis. Behind each one is a talented graphic designer who has brought the concept to life!
Career opportunities for graphic designers are vast - you could work as a visual merchandiser, a multimedia developer, a print finishing artist, a desktop publisher or a signwriter.
You could look at joining a buzzing advertising agency’s design team or a design studio. Why not even consider supplementing your graphic talents with a small business management course and work for yourself? INTEC College offers a comprehensive small business management course set to kick start your entrepreneurial adventure.
We strongly recommend that you have English language skills in reading and writing equivalent to Grade 9/Std 7 or NQF 2.
- A PIII 650 MHz and above PC is recommended
- 128Megs of RAM
- CD-ROM Drive
- 16 Bit Sound Card
- VGA Display Monitor
- 4.5 Gig HDD space
- Windows Operating Systems 2000/XP
- Internet Access is essential
Click here for more information and to enrol for this exciting course.